The music industry was always going to take a big hit with the onset of the coronavirus, and countless bands have had to cancel tours because of it. Amazon has also temporarily stopped shipping out vinyl records and CDS, in an attempt to prioritize sending out more essential supplies to customers during the outbreak. So that’s two primary sources of income down for musicians. It’s a blow to music fans, too, because it takes away any illusion of normalcy that buying these items would give them, and not being able to attend concerts makes the whole self isolation drama even more real. I’m definitely struggling with it myself as going to gigs and mingling with other metalheads is one of my favourite things to do and I miss it tremendously!
The rock and metal community, however, has always stood together during difficult times, and the solidarity of music fans has always made me immensely proud to be part of it. It’s one of the reasons I always feel so safe at metal concerts, because you know there will be someone to pick you up, even if things get a bit rough. Now is the time for us to stand together. So, here are a few ways you can continue to support the bands and musicians you love.
- Downloads. Even if you’re just buying a £1 single on iTunes, Apple Music, or wherever you get your music, you’re still contributing to the bigger picture.
- Social Media. Sharing what bands have posted on social media is a great way to support your favourite bands. It can open up conversations with fellow music lovers, too, and it won’t cost you a thing.
- Tag ‘Em! Share your old gig pics or your favourite merch and tag ’em!
- Streaming. Keep on streaming your fave bands on Spotify. I really feel like music has never been as important as it is now. How many of us have got through tough times by listening to our favourite songs? Lean on your bands, and help them out in return.
- Promote ‘Em! Have you always wanted to model clothing for EMP? Why not dress up in your favourite band tee and snap some pics? Heck, it’s something to do and an excuse to get out of your jammies!
- Merchandise! One of the most effective ways to directly support your favourite bands right now is, of course, by buying merch. Now’s the time to nab that sweet beanie you’ve had your eye on for ages!
Let’s do our bit and continue to support the things we love.